This effortless fresh fish recipe by Janene Draper co-founder of speciality food store Farro highlights the vibrant colours and flavours of cherry tomatoes. Balsamic vinegar sweetens and caramalises the sauce, and fresh basil brightens the dish. Don’t forget the Pinot Gris!
PREP TIME 5 MINUTES \\ COOK TIME 15 MINUTES \\ SERVES 4 PEOPLE 🖨 PRINTER-FRIENDLY
From the Market
- 4 Fish fillets, use whatever fish is abundant
- 1 lemon cut into 1/8 lengthwise
- 2 punnets Beekist cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp Sapori balsamic vinegar or Aceto Balsamico di Modena 250ml
- ¼ white wine or water – We Love Ara Single Estate Pinot Gris for this recipe, as it’s a versatile white that matches any fish!
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- Place flour, salt and pepper in a paper bag. Add the fish and shake to coat.
- Heat a frying pan, add butter and 2 tbsp olive oil.
- When sizzling add the fish, and lemon slices, cook the fish for 3 mins on one side or until golden.
- Turn both the fish and lemon slices and cook for a further minute on the other side.
- Remove the fish and lemon and place on serving dish.
- Place the pan back on the heat.
- Add crushed garlic to the pan. Then add the cherry tomatoes, shake then add 2 tbsp olive oil, balsamic syrup, wine, basil leaves, then season with salt and pepper.
- Continue to shake over the heat until the tomatoes have just started to soften.
- Remove from heat.
- Pour the tomato mix over the fish and serve.
Serve with the remaining Ara Single Estate Pinot Gris
and a simple green salad made of rocket and shaved parmesan dressed with Al Brown’s lemon fennel olive oil and balsamic syrup.