Harbourside’s Head Chef, Thomas Barta, worked as a young chef in Italy and fell in love with pasta. This is a favourite recipe of his. It’s quick and easy to make.
For the Pasta dough:
550 g Pasta flour
6 free range egg yolks
4 whole free range egg
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, olive oil and salt. Make a well in the flour, add the slightly beaten egg, and mix. The mixture should form a stiff dough. (Pasta dough should not be too dry or too wet.)
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- With a pasta machine or by hand , roll dough out to desired thinness and cut it to linguini shape.
If pasta is not getting used immediately it’s a good idea to quickly blanch it in salted boiling water about 30 seconds and cool it down in ice water to stop the cooking process. Toss it in olive oil and store it in a container in the fridge.
For the Carbonara:
500g Cloudy Bay Diamond Shell Clams
100g smoked pancetta
100g chopped Shallots
50g chopped fennel
1 tsp diced chilli
1 tbsp chopped garlic
50 ml white wine
100g parmesan cheese
2 to 3 egg yolks
Salt and pepper to season
- Mix finely grated parmesan with 2 or 3 egg yolks (depends how saucy do you like your pasta) in a big bowl.
- In a hot medium size pan heat up the olive oil , add pancetta and fry until almost crispy then add shallot , garlic , fennel and chilli and cook for another 2 minutes then add the clams , give it a good mix and de-glaze it with the white wine.
- Cover the pan with a lid and steam the clams until they opened. Re-heat the pre-blanched pasta in a hot boiling salted water for about a minute. Strain it and add the pasta with a little bit of pasta water to the clams.
- Mix it well and transfer the whole pan into the bowl with the parmesan-egg yolk mix. Mix it fast and add more pasta water if you like Your carbonara more saucy. The heat of the pasta will cook the egg mix and will create a beautiful sauce.
Season it with good amount of salt and lemon juice, cracked pepper and heaps of chopped parsley. We garnish it at Harbourside with crispy serrano ham , shaved fennel and freshly grated parmesan.